The Local Locksmith Company not only provides professional residential locksmith services – we can also be a resource to help you. Here, we cover a few very popular topics and ways to do certain things to prevent an emergency situation. Let’s face it, when it’s below freezing and you’re locked out of your car or house nothing else matters.
Popular Topics To Review
- Times when you consider a rekey
- How to rekey a lock
- When? Why? Would you consider new door locks or hardware?
- 4 ways to prevent being locked out of your house
At The Local Locksmith Company, it’s not always about a financial transaction. It’s also about an educated customer.
When To Consider A Rekey
There are several times when you might want to consider having your locks rekeyed:
1. When you purchase a new home. Purchasing a new home is a stressful and exciting time. A lot of things are going through your mind like the big move, painting, and possibly decorating. One thing is for sure, you should have your locks rekeyed. Having your locks rekeyed when you move into a new home, apartment or condominium ensures that as the new owner you are the only one with a key to access your new home.
2. When you have lost house keys. Losing your house keys can be hassle. It’s not only the fact you have no access to your home – the possibility someone else may have access is frightening. Make a simple call to The Local Locksmith Company and we can resolve this problem.
3. Break up with a spouse or significant other. Sometimes big life moments like a breakup will require you to rekey your door handles, deadbolts and door knobs. For your safety and for your protection The Local Locksmith Company will rekey your locks for you.
4. Firing a home care worker. Home care workers are entrusted not only with helping to take care of one of our relatives but, they are also given access to doors and deadbolts. It is a wise idea to rekey your locks after relieving a home health care worker of their duties.
5. Key control. Basic key control is it good reason to rekey your locks. Over the years you may have copied, lost or given a key to a person in the past and just out of your busy lifestyle forgotten how many of your keys are really out there. In one visit, the The Local Locksmith Company can rekey all of your locks, and give you your key control back.
6. Consolidate number of keys. You may have a separate key for your door knob, door handle and deadbolt. You may have multiple kinds of keys and multiple brands of door locks. Or, you may have a different key for your garage and your front door. Making all of your door locks, handles, knobs and deadbolts the same makes entering and exiting more convenient so you are not fumbling through multiple door lock keys to secure your home.
The Local Locksmith Company is focused on residential security. Our primary focus as a company is to cater to homeowners and just everyday people.
How To Rekey A Lock
The Local Locksmith Company rekeys hundreds of locks monthly. When the typical homeowner watches they’re usually pretty fascinated by the undertaking. Here’s a short how-to if you’d like to try and rekey your own locks. Rekeying your own locks requires very few tools and most people already have what they need. On a scale of 1 to 10, this job is probably a 7.
Tools you’ll need:
- Phillips screwdriver
- Possibly a flat-head screwdriver
Materials you’ll need:
You can go to Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, True Value Hardware, Do it Best Hardware or most any hardware store and pick up a rekeying kit by a company called To Change A Lock. They also have a website www.changealock.com. There they will sell you a standard rekeying kit for Kwikset locks or Schlage locks. These kits will contain pins, new keys, a plug cylinder follower, any tools required to disassemble the lock and detailed instructions on exactly how to remove the lock cylinder.
- Remove the doorknob, handle or deadbolt from the door.
- Remove the plug from the cylinder of the lock.
- Using the plug follower tool remove the plug that contains all of the pins (tumblers).
- Remove all of the old pin tumblers and you can discard these.
- Insert the new key into the plug and insert the correct size pin into the proper hole on the plug.
- Reinsert the plug into the lock cylinder at the same time holding tension onto the plug following tool so that no space between the plug and following tool is allowed.
- Reattach all pins, clips, springs, washers or nuts to the plug and to the lock cylinder.
- Reinsert the lock cylinder with the plug back into the fixture (door knob, door handle or deadbolt).
- Reinstall the doorknob, door handle or deadbolt back on the door.
- Job completed!
When Is a Good Time To Consider New Door Hardware (Locks, Knobs, Levers, Handles And Deadbolt Locks)
Several times to consider new door hardware are:
1. When your current hardware is malfunctioning. When your current door locks, door knobs, door levers, door handles and deadbolt locks are malfunctioning it is imperative that you consider replacing your door hardware. If nothing is done you are increasing your risk of being locked out. Don’t take that risk, replace your door locks before they fail.
2. When you’re decorating and you want a new look, color or feel. A lot of home remodels are done and the color of cabinet hardware, fixture hardware and light switch plates are changed. If your new remodeled look is done in brushed nickel but your doors have polished brass door knobs, levers, handles and deadbolt locks now would be a good time to update the look. Not only can your door locks add security they can also add style.
3. When you want to update your hardware from door knobs to door levers. Let’s face it, levers are definitely easier to open and require less work then door knobs. According to the Americans with disability act as of 2010, it has become a requirement to replace door knobs with levers. This makes it easier for anyone with disabilities and that’s just the right thing to do.
4.When you’re rekeying your door locks and have some locks with a Kwikset keyway and some locks with a Schlage, Yale or other key way. Changing your door locks, knobs, handles, levers and deadbolts to all the same keyway can reduce the amount of keys necessary to enter your home. So, when it’s pouring down rain, or the humidity is at 100% and it’s 85 degrees or it’s so cold you just want to get in the house having one key makes it very convenient. Rekeying your old hardware to match your new hardware keyway will increase safety, security and convenience.
5. Just because you want to. The Local Locksmith Company doesn’t require you to have a reason to change your door hardware. We will come change your door knobs, handles, levers and deadbolt locks anytime.
Ways To Prevent Being Locked Out Of Your House
You can avoid getting locked out of your house by:
1. Installing a new keypad deadbolt. Installing a new keypad deadbolt will allow you to access your home without a key but, at the same time, you’re not sacrificing your security. Some of the bigger door hardware companies like Kwikset and Schlage offer electronic coded push button deadbolt systems.
2. Installing a lock box. Never hide a key outside of your home under a rock or in a planter. Places like Home Depot, Lowe’s and Ace Hardware sell high quality lock boxes for homeowners. Simply bolt down or utilize the padlock clasp to secure the lockbox. Put a spare house key inside, lock it up and you will never be locked out of your house.
3. Leaving a spare house key in your car. Having a spare house key in your car is another way to prevent being locked out of your house.
4. Leaving a spare house key with a trusted neighbor. Leaving a spare key with a trusted neighbor is a good way to prevent being locked out of your house.
Sometimes it’s unavoidable to accidentally lock yourself out of your house. Calling a qualified locksmith who can open your door is the solution to the problem. These four tips will save you money, time and the headache of accidentally locking yourself out of your house.
The Local Locksmith Company can always assist you in these situations. Call us at 734-925-6647 and we will send a qualified residential locksmith to you today.